UPDATED JANUARY 26, 2016
We need you to Call AND Email the members of the Committee on the Judiciary!
Before the entire DC Council can vote on B21-0107, it first must be voted out of the Committee on the Judiciary. This Committee vote is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, January 27. TIME IS RUNNING OUT!
— Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie (Ward 5) – (202)724-8028 – email@example.com
— Councilmember Jack Evans (Ward 2) – (202)724-8058 – firstname.lastname@example.org
— Councilmember Mary M. Cheh (Ward 3) – (202)724-8062 – email@example.com
— Councilmember LaRuby May (Ward 8) – (202)724-8045 – firstname.lastname@example.org
— Councilmember Anita Bonds (At-Large) – (202)724-8064 – email@example.com
MAKE PHONE CALLS TODAY!
Here’s a sample phone call script:
Councilmember’s Staffer: Hello, Councilmember [ Insert Councilmember ]’s Office, how can I help you?
YOU: Hello, my name is [ Insert Your Name ], and I’m calling to request the Councilmember to vote against B21-0107, the Marijuana Decriminalization Clarification Amendment Act of 2015. As a member of the Committee on the Judiciary, their vote against this poorly worded legislation is important to all cannabis users in Washington, DC. Thank you for your time.
SEND AN EMAIL TODAY!
Here’s a sample email:
SUBJECT: Do not markup B21-0107
BODY: Dear Councilmember [ Insert Councilmember ],
As a member of the Committee on the Judiciary, I am writing today to urge you to vote against B21-0107. This poorly-worded legislation is bad for the District of Columbia and does not deserve your committee vote. Adults in DC deserve the right to consume cannabis in private establishments.
Thank you for your time.
[ Your Name ]
Click here to download hearing on B21-0107. The portion of the hearing that deals with B21-0107 starts at 52 minutes and 21 seconds and the government witness, DCRA Director Melinda Bolling, starts at 2 hours and 48 minutes. If you don’t want to download the entire hearing on to your computer, you can stream it on-line by clicking here and then clicking on “video” on the line that says “Committee on Judiciary, Public Hearing, Kenyan R. McDuffie, Chairperson – 12/10/15.”
- WAMU – Marijuana Advocates Push Back Against D.C. Effort to Ban Pot Use In Bars & Clubs
- Washington Post – Private clubs for smoking pot? Keep the law vague, activists say
- WTOP – D.C. Council considers letting ban expire on marijuana use in private businesses
- NBC Washington – Advocates Want Marijuana Use Expanded to Private Clubs in D.C.
- Washington City Paper – At Legal-Weed Hearing, Advocates Threaten Ballot Initiatives Against Council
- Daily Caller – DC Pot Activist Threatens Council With Term Limits If Marijuana Regulations Pass